Who doesn’t love a big pot of fresh cooked greens especially on the holidays, be they collard, mustard and turnip greens. In our family, we are big green lovers and today I want to share my recipe for collard greens. This recipe is also great with store bought and frozen greens. As this is a family recipe there is no skipping on fat content.
2 bunches fresh cut collard greens
One medium to large piece of smoke meat
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
¼ crush red pepper
1 tablespoon of bacon grease, or lacking bacon grease substitute it with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a half packet of ham flavoring.
1. Wash, rinse and drain greens. Set aside
- In a 5 – 6 quart Dutch oven add enough water to cover the smoke meat
- Add the salt, black pepper, crush red peppers, and bacon grease.
- Cover Dutch oven and on a medium heat cook meat with other ingredients to a rolling boil for 20 minutes. This will make getting the flavors into the greens easier.
- Add greens a little at a time until Dutch oven is full
- Cover and cook over medium until greens begin to boil; then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes.
- If desired, serve with fresh baked cornbread, thin slices of onion, tomatoes and a drizzle of your choice of vinegar,
Download the PDF.
Until next time,
Created by Widescreen Online Review Plus