In these trying times of worldwide COVID-19, unemployment, civil unrest, broken promises, confused and mixed messages, we all need something to lighten our spirits. And although I am retired and generally a stay at home housewife these days, I too feel the oppression of all that is happening here and around the world. However, to relieve some of the stress of what is happening, I am finding added joy in working on my websites, gardening, DIY projects, and cooking.
This being said below is my recipe for roasting a whole chicken upright in a Big Boss air fryer. Time-wise is about equal roasting in an oven, but minus the oven heat that fills the house, and since our Florida days have topped 100 degrees in some areas, the less heat in the house the better.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and find the cooking method useful, and as a bonus, I have added the recipe for my special chicken rub.
Description: This is a recipe for a Big Boss Air Fryer in which the extender is used and takes up to an hour to bake.
One 4-6 Lb Whole Fryer Chicken
¼ cup olive oil, melted margarine or butter
My Chicken Rub
- Preheat Big Boss air fryer to 460°.
- Rinse chicken in and out, then pat dry
- Using oil, margarine, or butter spread all over chicken inside and out.
- Spread a generous amount of My Chicken Rub over the outside and inside of the chicken
- Sprinkle salt on the inside and outside of the chicken
- Place chicken upside down on an upright poultry rack
- Add a little more of the My Chicken Rub over the areas touched when placing the chicken on the upright poultry rack.
- Place racked chicken in the Big Boss air fryer
- After baking for 20 to 30-minutes, remove chicken from Big Boss and reverse it on the poultry rack so that it is breast side up. The amount of baking time depends on the size of the chicken.
- Return racked chicken to Big Boss, replace extender.
- Checking frequently, bake for the remaining 20 to 30-minutes or until no blood runs and the chicken is juicy. Skin will be crispy but can be moistened with a little butter.
- Let chicken rest for at least 10 minutes before removing from upright poultry rack. To remove the rack twist it to one side or the other and pull it out.
- Cut chicken in half or quarters
- Serve with the main dish.
My Chicken Rub
Measure out the following ingredients as listed in a small airtight jar. Shake well. You can also double or triple the amount for additional and future use in a larger jar.
3 tablespoons Za'atar Powder
2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon butcher-grade black pepper