Winter is just about upon us, and for many in the northern states the weather probably feels like Old Man Winter is already in their bones.
At any rate, this is the time of the year when I like to cook a lot of chili, hot savory stews and homemade soups.
Below is my very own harvest stew recipe. It is packed with a lot of beef and veggies that is nutritionally rich, warm, and filling for combating those cold and chilly evenings.
My Harvest Stew
· 1-1/2 - 2 lb boneless beef chuck, tip or round roast, or stew meat cut into 1-inch cubes
· water, enough to cover meat
· 2 dried bay leaf
· 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 teaspoon pepper
· 1/4 teaspoon summer savory
· fennel, a pinch
· 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
· 1/8 cup bourbon
· 2 beef bouillon cubes
· 1 can of Beef Consommé
· 1 cup baby carrots sliced into thirds
· 1 pack of mushrooms, sliced
· 12 -14 unpeeled red baby potatoes
· 1 can of diced tomatoes (if on hand, add I baggie of frozen tomatoes as well)
· green bell pepper and seeds, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
· 1 cup frozen peas
· 1 cup frozen broccoli
· 1 cup frozen Cauliflower
· 1 1/3 fresh frozen green beans
· 1 large yellow squash and/or Zucchini, sliced1 1/2 inches and quartered
· 3-5 gloves garlic, coarsely chopped
· 2 medium stalk celery, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
· 1 onion, coarsely chopped
· 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· Do Not Add Corn
- In 4- 5 quart Dutch oven add beef and bay leaf with enough water to cover it.
- Cook about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove 2 cups of beefy water and set aside.
- Add all other ingredients except flour.
- Cover; cook of medium high heat until boiling. Stirring occasional. Then reduce heat to slimmer (about 3 on dial)
- Cook 1 -1/2 - 2 hours or until potatoes carrots are tender. Stirring occasional.
- During the last 30 minutes mix saved beefy water and flour well so that there are no lumps.
- Stir mixture into pot.
- Cover; cook remaining time or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
Note: If feeling a little lazy, add all ingredients into the pot with the exception of the flour and cook until potatoes carrots are tender, about 2 /1/2 hours.-----